Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Things I'd have hated to miss - Part IV a.k.a. Google Inc.

Hmmm...Feels good to be back on my fingers, trying to make another of my posts pass...Well, I'll start by telling you why I started this series of posts: It all started with my Writer's Block...I was unable to write anything for like a couple of months after my last semester examinations (come to think of it, I didn't even write much in the examinations ;)). The major reason was, no topics (somehow, even in the exams...). So, after a month or so of my college reopening, I decided to do something about this - this was my "thing", you see. I figured, the best way to do this is to write about things I am very very conversant with, and viola what better than things I like, things I am thankful for...Anyway, some of these things are trivial, some are personal, some need to be told and some are simply weird :). One more thing: I just love the feeling when people tell me voluntarily about my blog (whether positive or negative things, I don't mind, really...). It gives the pleasure of getting through to people and helping them in understanding me better :). Thank You (I ain't being subservient, but you guys deserve it... :)). So, anyways, what is this post about? Don't worry; I don't expect you guys to know the topic... :P Read On!


Google Inc. Well, find me a person (I'm confining myself to Youngistaan... :)) who isn't familiar with this name and I'll show you an oldie :), no offense to any of the older guys reading my blog (of whom I'm sure, there are very very few to none... :)). So, why am I thankful to Google? Tell me who isn't? (a bit presumptuous on my part, but reasonably true...) So, I'd hate to imagine what the internet would be like if Larry hadn't met Sergey (Larry Page and Sergey Brin are the founders of Google...). I'll tell you how it'd be...We'd have been cluttered with Search Engines that did everything but search, because of all the ads that crept into search results and most of the services that Google Inc. offers for no charge would burn a big hole into our pockets, like Blogger, GMail, Picasa Web Albums, Chrome, Chrome OS, GTalk, Analytics, Adsense. This is just the list of Google services that I use, and I shudder to think of other services which I have no idea how to use. So, anyway, I'd rather narrate why Google is important for my personal development...


Well, first things first, Google was my first tryst with the Web (this was something like 8-10 years back, like I say in my current FB status, "I am still trying to figure out the exact moment my life got so messed up", ;)). So, anyway, Google was just the Search Engine back then, may be even AdSense and AdWords, but I had no way to know about them back then and I used Google for assignments and time-pass :). So, then came along GMail. Well, there are so many awesome things about this and I wonder why people stick to the clichéd Yahoo mail. Anyway, if you are still using your Yahoo mail account, I request you to try GMail (not superficially, try the Labs features...) and tell me how good it is. Anyways, Gmail ROCKS!! Had Google not purchased Orkut (the site), I doubt we'd ever have heard of it and have platform to meet up friends and stay connected. Same goes for Blogger. Before Google took over Blogger, all the services that are free now were charged (not too much though). Google Groups: I needn't say much, as most of us are familiar with this. I'm sure you've noticed that, these are in the order I first used them...Then came along Google Docs and Google Calender, Google AdSense and what not. I love the browser too...It's so simple to use and so beautiful to look at :). Coming soon is the Google Chrome OS for Netbooks which I'll surely use if someone gifts me a good Netbook for my coming birthday :).


Well, I hate doing this, but it is very inspiring, the story of Google (or should I call it the rise and rise of Google?). I suggest you read the book "The Google Story". It's totally awe-inspiring and simply superb (I've run out of superlatives to describe this Corporation..).


Anyway, any doubts?? Simply Google it!! (I might sound like one of my last semester's lecturers, but he got at least this part right!! ;))


www.google.com (for those who haven't been there yet...)

No comments:

Post a Comment