Friday, September 11, 2009

Things I'd have hated to miss - Part III

Back again! So, time to tell you about two of (and probably the only ones apart from...nothing else actually, everything that influences me can be traced back to either of these...) the most influential things in my life. Well, these are the things that made me, literally. Let me dive right into it!


BOOKS: Well, I was introduced to books by a friend (he was more like this snob at that time, not now though, we are on great terms...). In retrospect, it seems crystal clear to me that, it was pretty much an issue of peer pressure (just a decent term for envy!). He was all high-nosed (if you're reading this, USB, try and ignore it, that's what I felt about you back then :P) about all the books he'd read (although I didn't believe him half the time, 'til that time, in VIII class, he probably had just read Harry Potter...). Anyway, there it all began...I started reading too...Harry Potter first, of course. And let me tell you, it is totally awesome - reading. It gives something to do for your mind to do, and no, I don't read mechanically, I try to get to all connotations of the book. Anyway, there isn't much to tell about books as such, I'd like to name some of my most favorite books of all time and suggest you to read them once, at least.

  1. The Catcher in the Rye: Well, if you don't like to be yourself, don't ever lay hands on this book. I love it because of its awesome informal tone and because I can totally relate to the character Holden Caulfield. You know what, I don't want to spoil it for any of you, just go ahead and read it! Munaf's rating: ****3/4 (out of 5).
  2. Michael Crichton's books: Well, I began with The Jurassic Park and became a die-hard fan of this guy. For more info about Late Mr. Crichton, check out this.
  3. Swami and Friends: Being Indian never felt better. This R K Narayan classic has all the things you'd look for in any book. Set in the imaginary town of Malgudi, it describes the life and times of Swami, the hero of his own imagination. It's a great book for starters. If you never felt the urge to read books, I'd suggest you start with this. Excellent vocabulary used and beautiful sentences. Munaf's Rating: *****.
  4. Books by Robin Cook and John Grisham: Well, this awesome duo is probably a whole new definition to professional writers. Dr. Cook is a medical doctor and Mr. Grisham is a Lawyer and they write these books in their own fields of expertise. Well, anyway, I love reading their books especially because of the excruciating detail of their technical topics.
  5. Harry Potter series: I can't believe I forgot to mention this before now, but I'm a BIG fan of Ms. Rowling. Anyway, the imagination that goes into this book is just post-human. Well, anyway, my favorite books in this series in the order from most to least are 6,7,4,2,1,3,5. Munaf's rating: **** out of 5.
  6. The Lord of the Rings series: You must've seen the movie series, but believe me, the books are a looot more awesome than the movies series. The excellent descriptions by Mr. Tolkein and the (adjectives fail me...) characters are just out of this world!! Munaf's rating: *****. P.S.: Don't read this unless you have loads of time to waste, I read this in my Intermediate and wasted a lot of time, affected my acads a lot...
  7. The Motor-cycle Diaries: This awesome book by Che Guevara describes his journey through Latin America though disease and poverty and to his journey to greatness as a revolutionary. Munaf's Rating: ****1/2.
  8. And of course, there are several books I have read which are very interesting more because they weren't suggested to me by anyone. Contact me personally for this very long list, or leave a comment, I'll get back to you :).
MUSIC: Well, music here refers mainly to English music. I've been listening to regular Telugu and Hindi music for a long time, but the intro I got to English music was simply awesome (I am using this word more than necessary, don't you think? :P). Anyway, Rock, my favorite genre of music, is such a remarkable way to vent your feelings about anything, really. Anyway, you can't explain in words what music does to you (I mean, neither can I... :P), so, I would like to list my favorite artists and why I like them...
  • Linkin Park: Well, definitely top of my list! Right from Super Xero to Minutes to Midnight, there's this innate beauty and pain in the lyrics that gives me the goosebumps every time I listen to these songs. It is simply awesome how they fuse mainstream Rock and Rapcore into one package! Chester and Mike, two of the best vocalists of Modern bands, keep you in the high mood all the time you listen to these songs. I don't wanna degrade any songs by mentioning some as the best ones...Rating: ****1/2.
  • Air Supply: Well, kinda old, but this Australian duo blows my mind with beautiful, meaningful lyrics (something I forgot to mention about Linkin Park...). Be it "All out of Love" or "Lost in Love", it is simply exhilarating to be listening to these guys and taking in the lyrics...Rating: ****
  •  Michael Learns to Rock: a.k.a. MLTR, is one of the best soft-rock band I've ever heard. The lyrics are simply incredible and give me the goosebumps (I'm using this a little too much too, ain't I? :P). Anyway, best picks, "25 Minutes", "Lonely Satellite", "Walk With Me", "Love Will Never Lie" and lots more...
  • Nickelback: Stumbled on this band while I was looking for songs on LimeWire...First song I heard by them, "If Everyone Cared" was simply swell. The texture of the lead vocalist's voice is so awesome that it keeps you awake to listen to these songs. Best Picks: "If Everyone Cared", "Photograph", "How You Remind Me" and more...
  • OneRepublic: Just one word: Lyrics!! Best Picks: "Apologize", "Mercy", "Someone to save you" and almost every song has lyrics to die for...
Well, I'm getting past myself...I don't mean to bore you and so, I'll just list the artists..."Savage Garden", "Nirvana", "The Beatles", "Switchfoot","Sting", "Led Zeppelin", "Westlife", "Simple Plan", "Red Hot Chili Peppers", "Hoobastank", "Pink Floyd", "Queen", "Hinder", "Enrique Iglesias", "Breaking Benjamin", "Bryan Adams", "Bon Jovi", "Avril Lavigne", "3 Doors Down" and "Green Day". Now, you might have understood why I was not going to mention about each of them... :)


Anyways, it feels real good to be expressing myself so much!!


ROCK ON!!


P.S.: For my new phone number, click here (FB link : it will be my status for a couple of days, at least...) (there's no way in hell I'm gonna post my phone number open for spammers... :P).


P.P.S.: I forgot to add one of my most favorite authors in the Books column : Dan Brown. Writes AWESOME-ly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment