Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Being Great?

Well, I'm back... I think about a lot of things, most of them useless, atleast as of now... Thing is, I've been reading some biographies lately, of the so-called "successful" people...  One thing I found in common was, most of them never had any formal education in the field they pioneered, and some of them were drop-outs from related fields... Let's take Bill Gates for instance, or may be even Steve Jobs, who were "successful drop-outs", kind of an oxymoron, right?


There was also this movie called "A Beautiful Mind", that I watched about John Nash the mathematician, and recollected the quote "Classes will dull your mind, destroy the potential for authentic creativity"


After reading about all these people lately, I has this whim, Why shouldn't I drop out too?? May be that'd make me great :). I looked at it from every angle, well, atleast as many as I could, and finally realised, it's not a plausible option for us Indians. No offence, but, let's face it, us Indians have got so many people to answer, right from our parents, neighbors, friends and who not? Even when we try to stay away from them, we are viewed as some - for want of a better word- heretics. Rebels simply are not encouraged in our social setting. The feeling is so imbibed in our minds that, we don't even realise that we believe in it.


Fine, enough of this, lemme not digress, let's get back to the main thing, dropping out..


So, here I was, all set up to take a crucial decision all by myself (All this happened about a couple of weeks back). I didn't discuss this with anyone - not even my friends (I'm pretty introvert see..). I was arguing with myself intensely and even considering making my own lab at home :). The actual reason behind all this was that, I was not able to get the hunch of most of the subjects I was taking under my curriculum, a pretty common thing when it comes to technical courses - I realised. 
Then I thought, "Fine, I've made up my mind!"
And I was gloating about the shock people around me would be in for :).


Well, call it fickle-minded or whatever you like, I suddenly decided to give my subjects just one more try. That, was when I fell in love, with a couple of my subjects. I dunno how it happened. just a week back, the subjects I couldn't make any sense of were beginning to look, well, just beautiful. I still believe that it was quite mysterious, finding no plausible reasons for the phenomenon. I'm delighted that I never publicised my decision and saved all the trouble :).


Bottomline, guys, is that I listened to my heart, my gut instinct and now I'm sure I can do whatever I like in my field. I decided to call it my "revelation". Now, i believe that, a person can be great only when he listens to their heart without any hesitation and follow it.. :)


Keep Rocking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment