Monday, November 17, 2008

D.I.Y.!!

Fine, I'm back... Not that I'm cool with spending time this way during my exams, but this seems far  more enjoyable than my preparation :).


So, what's this all about? DIY stands for Do It Yourself, as most of you might have guessed. This according to me is the philosophy of our generation. Everyday, we face people who complain about, well, everything. Be it the pollution, the traffic or the education system in our case :). But, what are we doing to change it? Let's be honest, virtually nothing. And why? because we are lazy? No, sir, that's because we've been brought up that way. As Mahatma Gandhi rightly puts,


"We need to be the change we wish to see in the world."


Let me put it this way, we prefer complaining, hemming and hawing (That reminds me of Who Moved my Cheese by Dr.Spencer Johnson), to doing something towards changing the things that irritate, or rather cause discomfort to, us. 




Why is it that, in our social setting (guys, I'm talking purely about India), the first thing we are taught is to "adjust". 


If someone is irritating you, just get along with it, don't punch him in the nose. Control your emotions blah blah.. 
If you find that something wrong is going on around you, ignore it, "It's none of your business!". 


Now, that phrase strikes me to be odd. C'mon guys, if it's happening around me, it damn well is my business, me being the quintessential citizen I try to be :). Don't you think it is the concern for everyone of us? So, where's this fit in with "DIY"? Simple guys, you might as well have gotten the point by now, don't depend on others. If you got something to get done, try and do it yourself. The instrumental word here being try, as opposed to do. If you don't like people using plastic bags, initiate the movement, start using paper or cloth bags, I'm sure you can get the drift..


Instead of saying, "Something has to be done about it.", we could use the more optimistic "I/We gotta do something about it.". Sounds loads better to me anyways. Then there's this common issue of people commenting us. Seriously, guys, we are more sophisticated than that, as in, we don't need to acknowledge the comments so long as we believe in what we are doing.


Let's not digress...


So, DIY is the cult among people of our generation. The reasons? Simple, we prefer being independent, we like to try new things, we like "getting our hands dirty". Then there also is the massive ego of ours :), if an expert can do it, why can't I? Well, worth mention here is my belief that an amateur can be more creative and successful in any field than the professionals. Simple logic, a professional is taught all the rules of working and the human mind is such, that once you know the result of some mistake, we presume it to be true, without ever trying to test for the truth. A person who is self taught can definitely view things in excellent perspective, as compared to a person who's been taught. Also, there's this satisfactory feeling you get after you have accomplished something by yourself. You actually feel on top of the world. Your mind becomes freeeeeee, you don't need to depend on others. So, essentially, it's important to try and DIY (sounds poetic, eh? :)). Now, I know this gotta end now - not DIY, but this post. :)


Adieu,


Try and DIY :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment