Thursday, November 27, 2008

Of Silly Mistakes..

There are many things I like to think about. There are some memories of mine which I ruminate over (don't get me wrong here, I'm no cattle), and can't stop smiling. Yesterday, while attending my GRE class, I was reminded inexorably of my old self from 10th grade. Looks like I haven't changed much :). Let me first tell what I think about doing stuff to prepare for GRE. The questions are essentially dumb, especially the quant(that's what we call the Quantitative Reasoning section..) ones. Then there's this part called verbal. The words are so complicated that, I wonder if we are actually gonna use them in our daily life (even in the US...).


So, the incident. We were discussing rates in the Quant class. It's supposedly an important topic for GRE. The questions were word problems. Incidentally, I'm good at those. So, I was trying to arrive at the answers ASAP (and look cool! :)). I did about 2 out of 3 answers correctly. Then, I realise that I was going wrong because I was hurrying and making some silly mistakes. That reminded me of my 10th grade days.




During those days, I was one of the people who care a lot about marks (It was the 10th std, important see). Actually, I was not much concerned about marks. It was the people around me. I believed, and still do, that doing our work is important. If you deserve marks for what you did, you get them automatically; you need not worry about that. I have always been in a hurry (my high school friends can testify that :)). So, even during those times, I used to hurry up during exams too, ending up committing silly mistakes. There was this co-ordinator of ours, a good man. He used to keep telling me to take my time with things and not commit such silly mistakes. One day, I got onto his nerves and despite all his saying, committed loads of mistakes in the paper. He flew off his handle and told me off like never before. He then told the whole class about this "habit" of mine and told them to call me "Silly-mistakes-Munaf". That got onto my nerves and I decided not to hurry again. Of course, I did not succeed in that as such, it did help me while giving the board exams where I managed to keep my cool and use all the time. Then, of course I left school for bigger and better things. I met this co-ordinator after a year or so, in a bus and he actually asked me - "Do you still commit those silly mistakes??". I was dumbfounded and just smiled at him.




So, now, I've decided to keep my cool even for this small period before and during my GRE. I just hope I'll be able to do that :).




Adiós Amigos!!

1 comment:

  1. actually even i had the same prob..my maths teacher used to scol me alot..later she even told this to my mom........but tht habit din go out of me and im still committing few mistakes but i still keep up the worked which i gave her.......i will try to score 100% in any maths course i do and i did score it in intermedite(jus missed in 10th)

    ReplyDelete