Wednesday, November 19, 2008

One of the BEST things that happened in my life... :)

Well, here I'm, all over again. :)


The exam season is indeed taking a toll on most of us (me included, of course..). That is pretty obvious for us, considering how we spend the non-exam period of our semesters :P. just thought I'd mention this on my blog (Looks good, see :)).


So, what is this thing I'm talking about? No prizes for guessing guys, I'm talking about Orkut. Yes, indeed, it is certainly one of the best things that happened in my life (Now, that's saying something, considering I'll soon be 20. :)). 






I still remember the first time I was intro-ed to Orkut. It was the June of 2006. It was funny actually. I had just completed my Intermediate exams and had loads of time to waste at home (I'm sure most of you can relate to this too. :)). So, after a lot of persuasion, I made my parents take an Internet connection at home. Well, of course I was very enthusiastic about it and went about downloading anything I found (which said FREE, of course :P). Then it began to wear out. After a week or so, I had nothing to do on the Internet. Chatting with friends was out of question, because I didn't have friends' IDs and I was, and still am, a bit paranoid about strangers. Then, enter Sudheer, my friend who just came to my place started talking about this site. Initially, I thought - "What the hell!! What's so great about it, man. I guess he's exaggerating." and a lot more on those lines. He also sent me an invitation to join Orkut right then. (Orkut was invite only, back then.). Sudheer left, and I started filling out the Registration form. I was irritated at first. The reason was the fields to fill in there. Indians are basically prude, and I was no exception (Now, I guess I am an exception..). It felt so 'not good', being asked to fill columns and check boxes like Sexual Orientation, Dating etc. I stopped the registration process then and there. That was my first tryst with Orkut.


Then, in just a couple of days, I started hearing a lot about Orkut. Suddenly, it seemed like everyone has "fallen for" Orkut. I decided to give it a try and ended up being the Orkut addict I am now.


So, why do I call Orkut one of the best things that happened in my life? Well, firstly, it was because of all the old school friend I kept finding there. Even to this day, I recieve friend requests from old friends who studied with me when I was 9 or 10 years old. It gives me very beautiful walks down the amnesia lane. Then, there was this problem of mine. I was an introvert. Tentative to talk to people (especially girls.). Orkut was the path I chose to change that, and trust me it changed me a lot. Then, there was the school community of ours. We all liked it, but no one was creative or patient enough to make up topics or do interesting stuff there :). People say, "You don't meet your school friends everyday.". But, Orkut changed it completely and literally, I could chat with most of my school friends everyday and that meant a lot of "feel good" factor.


The best part was when we organised a Reunion of our school using all the tools of Orkut. It was a lot of fun, to meet all(or at least most) of our school friends after about two years. Then, it was the peak time of Orkut surfing. The first thing I'd do after coming from college was check for scraps (I'm still talking about Orkut, not food. :)).


But, lately, Orkut is becoming a bit boring. That probably is because of us growing up. We've started taking communication seriously and prefer IM and phone to Orkut. And on the rare occasion we meet online, the conversation enters the endless loop of "What else?"es. Seriously, I find it very funny and I intend to change that (People who chat with me would be more knowledgable about this. :)). Yet, I love to check scraps on my Orkut account. I love to look at peoples' profiles :). I still love Orkut. It indeed is one of the best things that happened in my life... :)




Keep rocking Orkut!!


Au Revoir!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice one Munaf..... never told me that you do blog......anyways a post which said everyone's feeling...u spoke of a site which really changed many of our lives. There are negative points in it(Hacking, fake profiles many more...) but still the advantages through it dominate all these negatives

    ReplyDelete